Your outdoor space helps make your home a welcoming retreat. Whether you’re trying to relax and recuperate after a long day at work or hosting friends and family for a social gathering, a breath of fresh air and a burst of natural light provide the perfect complement.
But imagine if you could bring the attractive ambience of your garden and the soothing effects of nature right into your home. And what about if you could make your kitchen or living room space bigger and brighter at the same time?
Well, there’s no need to imagine – that’s exactly what Bifold Doors offer! Bifold Doors let you bring the outside in, turning your home into a fully integrated and harmonious space – and adding a touch of style and sophistication while they’re at it.
Here at Allerton Windows, we’ve got decades of experience delivering stunning home transformations, covering everything from stylish balcony doors to bespoke conservatories and home extensions. And that’s why we’re the perfect choice to give you the full insight into Bifold Doors.
In this post, we’ll dig into all the pros and cons of Bifold Doors and tackle some frequently asked questions. So read on to find out everything you need to know.
Pros of Bifold Doors
Bifold Doors are a popular choice right now, and for good reason. They offer a range of benefits for your home, combining the aesthetic and the practical. The pros of Bifold Doors include:
- A flexible and integrated living space. Bifold Doors let you move freely and easily between your home and garden. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party on a sunny summer afternoon or just want to enjoy the view of your garden on colder days, a Bifold Door provides the perfect way to blend your indoor and outdoor spaces.
- A touch of style. Bifold Doors aren’t just highly functional – they’re also visually striking and suited to a range of decors. Yes, they’ll provide attractive views of your greenery, but they also come in a choice of styles and materials to complement your existing decor.
- Easy installation and maintenance. Contrary to popular belief, installing Bifold Doors is a quick and painless process – if you choose experienced fitters, of course! You won’t need to worry about a prolonged disruption to your daily life. Before you know it, you’ll be enjoying the benefits of a newly blended living space.
- Energy efficient. Though Bifold Doors help bring the outdoors in, that doesn’t have to include the cold weather! If you choose high-quality doors from a reputable manufacturer, you won’t need to worry about any loss of heat or increase in energy bills.
- Highly secure. Most Bifold Doors feature a range of security features to ensure you can enjoy your newly integrated space without any added worries. Choose a Bifold Door with high-quality locks and dog bolts for maximum safety.
Cons of Bifold Doors
Of course, nothing in life comes without its downsides – and that includes decisions about your home decor. There are some potential issues you might want to consider before you commit to installing Bifold Doors in your home. These include:
- Lack of a threshold. As Bifold Doors run right to the floor, you’ll need to be wary about the possibility of the elements encroaching on your indoor space. If you have drainage issues near where the door will be located – or simply struggle with fallen leaves or other detritus – you’ll want to make sure this doesn’t come spilling into your home when the doors are open.
- Loss of indoor space. Unlike a sliding door, when your Bifold Doors are open, the panes will stack at one or both ends. If your door is installed so that the panes stack internally, this can cause problems in smaller rooms. You may find yourself feeling cramped or obstructed – which is the opposite of what you’re trying to achieve!
- Potential privacy issues. If your outdoor space is overlooked by neighbours or visible from the street, you won’t just be letting more natural light into your home – you could be inviting prying eyes in, too!
Are Bifold Doors a good idea?
So, you’ve seen the pros and the cons. It’s time to boil it down to the essential question: should you get Bifold Doors or not?
Well, we hope we’ve been clear about the far-reaching benefits of Bifold Doors. If you want to blend your indoor and outdoor spaces while complementing your home decor with a stylish new feature, they’re a great choice.
But it’s important to remember that Bifold Doors aren’t a one-size-fits-all solution. They come in a great many shapes, sizes, and looks. A Bifold Door could be the perfect choice for your home – but if you use the wrong material or position it in the wrong place, you won’t get the full benefit.
Your best choice is to consult an expert for a full discussion of your options. Experienced Bifold Door fitters will be able to ensure you get the right fit – in every sense! At Allerton Windows, our team of more than 30 employees has delivered quality projects across the North West for nearly thirty years, so you can be sure we’ll provide the advice and support you need.
Do Bifold Doors make a room cold?
This is one of the most common concerns when installing Bifold Doors. And at a time of rising energy costs, it’s easy to understand why!
But the truth is that, as in so many cases, it all depends on the quality of your doors and how well they’re installed. Developments in Bifold Door technology mean that you can benefit from a high degree of thermal efficiency, meaning you won’t need to worry about pesky draughts. At Allerton Windows, we use Liniar Bifold Doors, which provide maximum insulation thanks to their advanced thermal core.
And the added natural light they prove isn’t just an aesthetic benefit – it can also help warm up your rooms in the colder months.
Do you have curtains with Bifold Doors?
Curtains are a great way to preserve a sense of privacy and keep your rooms feeling cosy on dark winter nights, while still enjoying all the benefits of Bifold Doors.
However, you will need to put a little thought into the right curtain choice. Otherwise, you could face a few issues. For instance, if your curtains aren’t positioned correctly or they’re too thick and heavy, they could obstruct the door’s stacking mechanism.
By the same token, the benefits of bringing the outside in may not apply to expensive curtains – they could end up getting wet or dirty if you’re not too careful.
Do you need planning permission for Bifold Doors?
The thought of getting planning permission can easily put you off considering any big renovations. It’s an added burden that you may not have the time and energy to take on. Luckily, you usually won’t need planning permission to install Bifold Doors, especially if you’re just adding doors to an existing room.
However, if you’re installing Bifold Doors as part of a larger home transformation – adding an extension or conservatory, for instance – it could be a different story. If you’re unsure, speak to a trusted Bifold Doors installer. They’ll be able to give you detailed advice on if you do need to apply for planning permission – and even take over the paperwork for you!
Can Bifold Doors open both ways?
Yes, your Bifold Doors can open to either the left or right of the opening, or they can open both ways, parting from the centre (as you can see in the image below).
Deciding which is the best option for you means thinking carefully about your space and how you use it. You’ll need to consider where you’d prefer the panels to stack when the door is open to avoid any obstruction. You should also think more generally about how you move through the room – is it easier or more convenient to open from one side or the other?
Do Bifold Doors add value to a home?
Bifold Doors are an investment. Naturally, you want the cost to provide some immediate benefits: an improved quality of life, a better use of your space, and so on. But it’s even better if this can also increase the value of your home, making it a financial benefit for the long term, too.
And the simple answer is that yes, Bifold Doors can certainly add value to your home. Bifold Doors won’t just make your rooms feel brighter and more open, but they’ll also add a sense of space and functionality to your garden area. All these things can contribute to increasing the value of your property.
What is the lead time on Bifold Doors?
Once you’ve decided on Bifold Doors, naturally you’ll want to start reaping the benefits as soon as possible. Nobody wants a home improvement project to drag on and disrupt their lives for longer than necessary. At Allerton Windows, our lead times for Bifold Doors are usually 1-2 weeks, so you won’t find yourself waiting around to see results.
Of course, the specific amount of time you’ll need to wait to get your Bifold Doors up and running depends on a variety of factors – the size and complexity of the job, for instance. If you’d like to get a personalized quote, get in touch and speak to our friendly, supportive team.
It’s also important to remember that quicker isn’t always better. You want your Bifold Doors to make a major improvement to your home for the long run – but that means they need to be the best possible fit for your space, as well as being expertly installed.
With this in mind, it’s better to choose an installer who will listen carefully to your needs and offer advice, rather than just one who’ll promise a quick turnaround. Here at Allerton Windows, we think providing a personable, friendly and responsive service is vital to ensuring you get the end result you truly want. That’s why we’re committed to taking an open and collaborative approach to your home renovation.
If you want to see what this looks like in practice, take a look at one of our recent projects. We helped the residents at Lyons Lane to transform their home, adding four new living areas that can be used year-round. And at the heart of it all – Bifold Doors to bring the outside in!
Get in touch
So, you’ve seen all the benefits that Bifold Doors have to offer and considered the pros and cons in detail. You’ve thought about how they could fit in your space and maybe you’ve even got some ideas about the style that would suit you best.
Now it’s time to get the ball rolling by consulting your local experienced Bifold Door fitter – and that’s where Allerton Windows come in. We’ve been installing windows and doors across the North West for more than 25 years, and we’ve built a reputation for delivering sensational customer service every single time.
For your free consultation, get in touch today. Alternatively, why not visit our Liverpool showroom in person to see what we have to offer?